Noreen Khan was working at Deutsche Bank when she met her business partner, Yvonne, and discovered that not only were they both obsessed with cake, but they were working on almost identical business plans. The result of this chance discovery was MY BAKER – an online cake concierge connecting customers to bakers across the countries.
With 100 bakers and over 1000 cakes sold, MY BAKER has established itself as the ‘go to’ platform for personalised baked goods, with delivery in as little as 24 hours. In their first year together Noreen and Yvonne won the prestigious Just Eat Tech Accelerator Program.
1) What is your name and where do you live?
Noreen Nisa Khan, St Johns Wood, London
2) What is your favourite soulventure?
To visit Borneo and stay there for a 4-6 weeks working at the Orangutan sanctuary! I have always wanted to visit the rainforest and got so close when I travelled around Indonesia a few years back. Fascinates me that they share 90% of our DNA – so close to humans and they are SO cute!
3) What’s something that no-one would guess about you?
Oooh I was the only girl on my school rugby team (I’m 5ft3 now and was shorter back then!)
4) What single thing would improve the quality of your life?
To be in bed by 11pm every night (I blame Netflix)
5) If you could be doing anything, anywhere, right now, what would it be?
Somewhere hot, tropical and amongst nature!
6) Of what are you most proud?
Leaving my comfortable job in the city to pursue my passion for my business.
7) Who do you most admire and why?
The ability to smile and laugh when times are really tough is so admirable and some of my closest friends and family do a stellar job at it – that is honourable!
8) Best kiss of your life?
Ooh the first time I kissed my (now) husband. Totally swept away and I then had 1 minute to catch my train from London Victoria (such a Hollywood moment!).
9) What is a new skill you’d like to learn (and why?)
I would love to learn to code because it’s so important with the way technology is moving and it would have saved my business partner and I a lot of money if we’d known how when we started MY BAKER.
10) Woods, mountain, city or sea?
Sea. There is something so spiritual and calming about being near water.
11) If you could say one thing to lots of people, what would it be?
Smile at people and be kind – it’s free!
12) What makes you happy?
Being amongst family and friends.
13) What is your guiltiest pleasure?
My recent guilty pleasure has got to be some Willams Sonoma Peppermint Bark Chocolate (wow, everyone needs to try it!).